Linda Citlali Halgunseth
Associate Professor, Human Development and Family Studies
Chair, SRCD Latino Caucus
- Early Career Award, SRCD Latino Caucus (2017)
- Early Career Award, AAUP Teaching Excellence (2017)
- NIH LRP, National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities (2014-2016)
- Ph.D. University of Missouri
- M.S. University of Missouri
- B.A. with Honors, University of Texas at Austin
- Latino and African American Parenting
- Cultural Influences on Parent-Child Relations and Parenting
- Children of Immigrants
- Culturally-Appropriate Measurement Development
- Minority Health and Well-Being
Selected Publications (students in italics)
- Reid, A., Halgunseth, L.C., Espinosa-Hernandez, G., & Vasilenko, S.A. (in press). Sociocultural influences on the association between negative romantic experiences and psychological adjustment in Mexican adolescents. Journal of Research on Adolescence.
- Ki, P., Britner, P.A., Rohner, R. R., Halgunseth, L.C., & Rigazio-Digilio, S.A. (in press). Coping with Remembrances of Parental Rejection in Childhood: Gender Differences and Associations with Intimate Partner Relationships. Journal of Child and Family Studies.
- Halgunseth, L.C., Espinosa-Hernández, G., Joeng, H.K., Chang, Y, Card, N.A. & Reid, A. (2017). Parenting practices and adolescent adjustment in Mexico: Initial Evidence of the Mexican Parenting Questionnaire for Adolescence (MPQ-A). Journal of Child and Family Studies, 26 (2), 471-481.
- Brenick, A. & Halgunseth, L.C. (2017). Brief Note: Applying developmental intergroup perspectives to the social-ecologies of bullying: Lessons from development social psychology. Journal of Adolescence, 59, 90-95.
- Halgunseth, L.C., Jensen, A., Sakuma, K., & McHale, S. (2016). The role of mothers’ and fathers’ religiosity in African American adolescents’ religious beliefs and practices. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 22 (3), 386-394.
- Espinosa-Hernandez, G., Bissell-Havran, J., Van Duzor, A., & Halgunseth, L.C. (2016). Romantic relationships in Mexico: Understanding the roles of parenting and respeto across adolescence. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships.
- Vasilenko, S.A., Espinosa-Hernandez, G., & Halgunseth, L.C. (2016). Positive and negative perceived consequences of first intercourse in Mexican adolescents. Journal of Culture, Health, and Sexuality, 18 (5), 582-596.
- BeLue, R., Halgunseth, L.C., Abiero, B, & Bediako, P. (2015). The relations among maternal health status, parenting stress, and child behavior problems in low-income, ethnic-minority families. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities, 2, 501-509.
- Chang, Y. & Halgunseth, L.C. (2015). The association between psychosocial adjustment and weight status change among ethnic-minority adolescents. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 44, 870-886.
- Chang, Y., & Halgunseth, L.C. (2015). The association between family meals and early-adolescents’ weight status change in the context of parental discipline practices: The moderating roles of ethnicity and acculturation. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 17(2), 450-458.
- Halgunseth, L.C., Perkins, D.F., Lippold, M., & Nix, R.L. (2013). Delinquent-oriented attitudes mediate the relation between parental inconsistent discipline and early adolescent behavior. Journal of Family Psychology, 27 (2), 293-302.
- Halgunseth, L.C. & Ispa, J. (2012). Mexican Parenting Questionnaire (MPQ). Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 34 (2), 232-250.
- Halgunseth, L. C., Smith, E. P., & Craig, A. (2011). Effective parenting and its impact on conduct problems among African American children. In. T. L. Mann, N. E. Hill, & H. E. Fitzgerald (Eds.), Child psychology and mental health: Cultural and ethno-racial perspectives, vol. 2 (pp.183-209). Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger.
- Halgunseth, L. C., Ispa, J. M., & Rudy, D. (2006). Parental control in Latino families: An integrated review in the literature. Child Development, 77 (5),1282-1297.
- Halgunseth, L. C., Ispa, J. M., Csizmadia, A., & Thornburg, K. R. (2005). Relations among maternal racial identity, maternal parenting behavior, and child outcomes in low-income urban Black families. Journal of Black Psychology, 31 (4), 418-440.
- Halgunseth, L.C., Espinosa-Hernandez, G., Reid, A., Harris, C., & Gutierrez, E. (2016, October). Parenting Practices and Mexican Adolescents’ Psychological Adjustment: The Role of Gender. Poster Symposium to be presented at Society for Research on Child Development Special Topics Conference on Babies, Boys, and Men of Color, Tampa, FL.
- Halgunseth, L.C. (Panel Chair; 2015, March). Latino Parenting and Child Developmental Outcomes: From Toddlers to Adolescents. Paper Symposium presented at the biennial meeting of the Society for Research on Child Development, Philadelphia, PA.
- Halgunseth, L. C., Sakuma, K.K., Stanik, C., & McHale, S.M. (2014, March). Parental correlates and influences on adolescent religious beliefs in two-parent African American families. Poster presented at the biennial meeting of the Society for Research on Adolescence, Austin, TX. This poster was competitively selected for special recognition for a session focused on Diversity in Adolescence at the conference.
- Halgunseth, L.C. (2013, April). Parenting in context: Validation of the Mexican Parenting Questionnaire for Adolescents (MPQ-A) among adolescents in Mexico. Paper presented at the biennial meeting of the Society for Research on Child Development, Seattle, WA.
- Halgunseth, L.C. (2011, March). Developing a parenting measure for immigrant Mexican mothers: A mixed-methods approach. Paper presented at the biennial meeting of the Society for Research on Child Development, Montreal, QC.
- Halgunseth, L. C. (2009, October). Strengthening concepts and measures of engagement with families. Invited speaker for the annual meeting of the Office of Planning and Research Evaluation (OPRE) Child Care Policy Research Consortium, Washington, DC.
- Halgunseth, L. C. (2008, July). Developing successful family partnerships across ethnically and linguistically diverse early childhood communities. Invited speaker for the annual meeting of the State and Territory Child Care Administrators Meeting, Washington, DC.
|Mailing Address||99 E Main Street Waterbury, CT|
|Campus||Waterbury and Storrs|
|Courses||HDFS 3310: Parent-Child Relations in Cross Cultural Perspectives; HDFS 5312: Diverse Families; HDFS 2001: Diverse Issues in HDFS; HDFS 2004W Research Methods in HDFS|