- Ph.D., Applied Developmental and Educational Psychology, Lynch School of Education, Boston College, 2013
- B.A. with Honors, Psychology and English, The University of Vermont, 2004
- Role of family, early care and education, school, and community for promoting children’s cognitive, language, socio-emotional, and health outcomes
- Processes through which socioeconomic disadvantage is transmitted to children’s development
- Contextual influences on families and links with children’s achievement and well-being
- Effects of public policies on parents and children
Selected Professional Accomplishments:
- Research Grant, American Educational Research Association, 2017-2019
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Lynch School of Education, Boston College, 2014-2016
- Dissertation Grant, American Educational Research Association, 2012
- Annette U. Rickel Dissertation Award, American Psychological Association, 2012
- Legislative Staffer, United States Senate, 2004-2008
- Thomson, D., Casey, B. M., Lombardi, C. M., & Nguyen, H. N. (in press). Quality of fathers’ spatial concept support during block building predicts their daughters’ early math skills – but not their sons’. Early Childhood Research Quarterly.
- Lombardi, C. M., Coley, R.L., Sims, J., Lynch, A.D. & Mahalik, J.M. (2019). Social norms, social connections, and sex differences in adolescent mental and behavioral health. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 28, 91-104.
- Casey, B., Lombardi, C.M., Thomson, D., Nguyen, H.N., Paz, M., Theriault, C. & Dearing, E. (2018). Maternal support of early numerical concept learning predicts preschool and first grade math achievement. Child Development, 89(1), 156-173.
- Casey, B.M., Lombardi, C.M., Pollock, A., Fineman, B., & Pezaris, E. (2017). Girls’ spatial skills and arithmetic strategies in first grade as predictors of fifth grade analytical math reasoning. Journal of Cognition and Development, 5(18), 530-555.
- Lombardi, C.M., Casey, B.M., Thomson, D., Nguyen, H.N., & Dearing, E. (2017). Maternal support of young children’s planning and spatial concept learning as predictors of later math (and reading) achievement. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 41(4), 114-125.
- Lombardi, C.M. & Coley, R.L. (2017). Early maternal employment and children’s academic and behavioral skills in Australia and the United Kingdom. Child Development, 88(1), 263-281.
- Longo, F., Lombardi, C.M. & Dearing, E. (in press). Family investments in low-income children’s achievement and socioemotional functioning. Developmental Psychology, 53(12), 2273-2289.
- Coley, R.L., Lombardi, C.M. & Sims, J. (2015). Long-term implications of early education and care programs for Australian children. Journal of Educational Psychology, 107(1), 284-299.
- Lynch, A.D., Coley, R.L., Sims, J., Lombardi, C.M., & Mahalik, J.R. (2015). Direct and interactive effects of parent, friend, and schoolmate drinking on alcohol use trajectories. Psychology and Health, 30(10), 1183-1205.
- Mahalik, J., Lombardi, C.M., Sims, J., Coley, R.L. & Lynch, A.D. (2015). Gender, male-typicality, and social norms predicting adolescent alcohol intoxication and marijuana use. Social Science & Medicine, 143, 71-80.
- Coley, R.L. & Lombardi, C.M. (2014). Low-income women’s employment experiences and their financial, personal, and family well-being. Journal of Family Psychology, 28(1), 88-97.
- Lombardi, C.M. & Coley, R.L. (2014). Early maternal employment and children’s school readiness in contemporary families. Developmental Psychology, 50(8), 2071-2084.
- Coley, R.L. & Lombardi, C.M. (2013). Does maternal employment following childbirth support or inhibit low-income children’s long-term development? Child Development, 84(1), 178-197.
- Coley, R.L., Lombardi, C.M., Lynch, A.D., Mahalik, J. & Sims, J. (2013). Sexual partner accumulation from adolescence through early adulthood: The role of family, peer, and school social norms. Journal of Adolescent Health, 53(1), 91-97.
- Coley, R.L., Lombardi, C.M., Sims, J. & Votruba-Drzal, E. (2013). Early education and care experiences and cognitive skills development: A comparative perspective between Australian and American children. Family Matters, 93, 36-49.
- Jaffee, S., Lombardi, C.M. & Coley, R.L. (2013). Using complementary methods to test whether marriage limits men’s antisocial behavior. Development and Psychopathology, 25(1), 65-77.
- Lombardi, C.M. & Coley, R.L. (2013). Low-income mothers’ employment experiences: Prospective links with young children’s development. Family Relations, 62, 514-528.
- Mahalik, J., Coley, R.L., Lombardi, C.M., Lynch, A.D., Markowitz, A. & Jaffee, S. (2013). Changes in health risk behaviors for males and females from early adolescence through early adulthood. Health Psychology, 32(6), 685-694.
- Coley, R.L. & Lombardi, C.M. (2012). Dynamics of early maternal employment in low-income families. In A. Kalil, Haskins & J. Chesters (Eds.), Investing in children: Work, education, and social policy in two rich countries (pp.24-47). Washington, DC: Brookings Institution Press.
- Coley, R.L. & Lombardi, C.M. (2012). Early maternal employment and childhood obesity among economically disadvantaged families in the U.S. Early Child Development and Care, 182(8), 983-998.
- Lewin-Bizan, S., Lynch, A.D., Fay, K., Schmid, K., McPherran, C., Lerner, J.V., & Lerner, R.M. (2010). Trajectories of positive and negative behaviors from early- to mid-adolescence. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 39(7), 751-763.
|Mailing Address||348 Mansfield Rd U 1058 Storrs, CT 06269|