To be admitted to the HDFS graduate program, the applicant must apply to and meet the admission standards of the Graduate School as well as other standards established by the graduate program in the Department of Human Development & Family Studies.
If you wish to apply to our graduate program, application material can be found at the following website: www.grad.uconn.edu. All applications must be submitted online.
Required materials for application to Human Development Family Studies
- Completed online application
- Choose an area of specialization by accessing the “HDFS supplemental information” link on your application profile. Please note this is different from a “concentration”. HDFS does not offer a concentration. Please note that we are no longer accepting applications for our clinical Marriage and Family Therapy programs and this area of specialization is not available.
- Three letters of recommendation *
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended **
- Unofficial transcripts uploaded onto the online application site.
- Personal Statement highlighting your desired area of specialization, research interests, as well as your preferred advisor, uploaded directly on the application site.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- GRE scores required:
- Institution Code 3915
- Department Code not needed
- Ph.D. Applicants only: In addition to the above materials, Ph. D. applicants are required to submit a scholarly writing sample. Examples of this include a thesis, a research-based paper, or a published article. Some Ph.D. applicants may be invited to interview with faculty.
Ph.D. candidates should submit application materials before December 15th.
MA candidates should submit application materials before March 1st.
* We do not use a specific form for the letters of recommendation. Letters may be uploaded to your application account by your recommenders or mailed directly to our department:
HDFS Graduate Admissions
348 Mansfield Rd., Unit 1058
Storrs, CT 06269-1058
**Upon admission to the program official transcripts should be sent directly to:
Whetten Graduate Center
438 Whitney Road Extention
Storrs, CT 06269-1152
Please view the HDFS Graduate Handbook for program information.
For application assistance please contact HDFSgradprogram@uconn.edu