Dr. Lefkowitz is accepting graduate students for Fall 2017.
To learn more about Dr. Lefkowitz's research, please visit her website.
Ph.D., Developmental Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, 1998
M.A., Psychology, University of California, Los Angeles, 1993
B.A., Psychology, Brandeis University, 1990
- Sexual health across adolescence and the transition to adulthood
- Romantic relationship development
- The role of gender in sexuality development, romantic relationships, and risky behaviors
- Religiosity and wellbeing
- Communication about sexuality and other health topics
- Peer influence on sexual and dating experiences
* indicates student co-author
- Lefkowitz, E. S., *Vasilenko, S. A., & *Leavitt, C. E. (2016). Oral vs. vaginal sex experiences and consequences among first year college students. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 45, 329-337.
- Lefkowitz, E. S., *Waterman, E. A., *Morgan, N., & Maggs, J. L. (2016). College students’ perceptions of the links between alcohol use and sex. Emerging Adulthood, 4, 272-283.
- *Vasilenko, S. A., Kreager, D. A., & Lefkowitz, E. S. (2015). Gender, contraceptive attitudes, and condom use in adolescent romantic relationships: A dyadic approach. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 25, 51-65.
- Lefkowitz, E. S., *Kelly, K. M., *Vasilenko, S. A., & Maggs, J. L. (2014). Correlates of human papillomavirus vaccination among female university students. Women and Health, 54, 487-501.
- Lefkowitz, E. S., *Shearer, C. L., *Gillen, M. M., & *Espinosa-Hernandez, G. (2014). How gendered attitudes relate to women’s and men’s sexual behaviors and beliefs. Sexuality & Culture, 18, 833-846.
- Lefkowitz, E. S., & *Vasilenko, S. A. (2014). Healthy sex and sexual health: New directions for studying outcomes of sexual health. In E. S. Lefkowitz & S. A. Vasilenko (Eds), New Directions for Child and Adolescent Development: Positive and negative outcomes of sexual behavior, 144 (pp. 87-98). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- *Vasilenko, S. A. *Duntzee, C., *Zheng, Y., & Lefkowitz, E. S. (2013). Testing two process models of religiosity and sexual behavior. Journal of Adolescence, 36, 667-673.
- Lefkowitz, E. S., *Gillen, M. M., & *Vasilenko, S. A. (2011). Putting the romance back into sex: Sexuality in romantic relationships. In F. D. Fincham & M. Cui (Eds.), Romantic relationships in emerging adulthood (pp. 213-233). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- *Stoppa, T. M., & Lefkowitz, E. S. (2010). Religiosity during the transition to college. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 20, 23-38.
- *Espinosa-Hernandez, G., & Lefkowitz, E. S. (2009). Sexual behaviors and attitudes and ethnic identity during college. Journal of Sex Research, 46, 471-482.
- Lefkowitz, E. S., & *Espinosa-Hernandez, G. (2007). Sex-related communication with mothers and close friends during the transition to university. Journal of Sex Research, 44, 17-27.
- Lefkowitz, E. S. (2005). “Things have gotten better”: Developmental changes among emerging adults after the transition to university. Journal of Adolescent Research, 20, 40-63.
- Lefkowitz, E. S., Romo. L. F., Corona, R., Au, T. K., & Sigman, M. (2000). How Latino American and European American adolescents discuss conflicts, sexuality, and AIDS with their mothers. Developmental Psychology, 36, 315-325.
- Lefkowitz, E. S., Sigman, M. D. & Au, T. K. (2000). Helping mothers discuss sexuality and AIDS with adolescents. Child Development, 71, 1383-1394.